Amid new Covid variant scare, Pakistan reports two deaths
NIH data shows number of daily tests skyrocketing to over 5,000: China slams unacceptable Covid curbs on travellers from its territory
January 4, 2023 10:52 AM
Amid detection of infections by new Covid-19 variants, Pakistan after a gap of many days reported two fatalities and over 20 coronavirus cases during the last 24 hours (Tuesday), showed the figures released by the National Institute of Health (NIH) on Wednesday morning, reported 24NewsHD TV channel.
According to the NIH data, the death toll in the country now stood at at 30,638 whereas the number of total infections now rose to 1,575,854 after adding the fresh 22 cases.
During the last 24 hours (Tuesday), 5,126 tests were conducted throughout Pakistan whereas the positivity ratio stood at 0.43 percent. The number of patients in critical care has shot up to 14.
The National Command and Operation Centre has denied the existence of the dreaded coronavirus strain, BF.7 in Pakistan. However, six new cases of XBB and XBB.1 were reported in Karachi on Tuesday.
The National Institute of Health (NIH) had earlier confirmed the existence of Omicron’s subvariant XBB in the country. According to the NIH, 29 cases of coronavirus variant XBB had been reported in Pakistan so far. It further said that the presence of highly infectious variant BF.7 has been reported in our neighbouring country but it is not found here so far.
Clarifying the news circulating in a section of media about the new COVID variant, the NIH spokesperson said that such news was not accurate as the reported variant in some areas of the country is XBB which is an old variant of Omicron.
Based on observations, BF.7 is more contagious than other sub-variants of Omicron but less virulent. Infection with BF.7 has a much lower risk of hospitalization and severe Covid. However, BF.7 infection can be severe in those with high blood pressure, kidney diseases, diabetes, or other comorbidities and in those aged over their sixties.
China slams 'unacceptable' Covid curbs on travellers from its territory
China called the mounting international restrictions on travellers from its territory "unacceptable" on Tuesday after more than a dozen countries placed fresh Covid curbs on visitors from the world's most populous nation.
The United States, Canada, Japan and France are among the countries insisting all travellers from China provide negative Covid tests before arrival, as concerns grow over a surge in cases.
China's steep rise in infections comes after Beijing abruptly lifted years of hardline restrictions last month, with hospitals and crematoriums quickly overwhelmed.
But Beijing has pushed ahead with a long-awaited reopening, last week announcing an end to mandatory quarantines on arrival in a move that prompted Chinese people to plan trips abroad.
"Some countries have taken entry restrictions targeting China," foreign ministry spokesperson Mao Ning told a regular briefing.
"This lacks scientific basis and some practices are unacceptable," she added, warning China could "take countermeasures based on the principle of reciprocity".
The United States replied that it had taken action in response to the "lack of adequate and transparent" data from China and concerns that the heavy caseload could give birth to new variants.
"This is an approach that is based solely and exclusively on science," State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters in Washington.
Asked about China's reaction, France's Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne defended the new rules.
"I think we're performing our duty in asking for tests," Borne told franceinfo radio.
"We will continue to do it."
The rules imposed affect all travellers coming from China -- not just Chinese nationals -- while Beijing continues to restrict inbound visitors and not issue visas for tourists or international students.
China has only recorded 22 Covid deaths since December and has dramatically narrowed the criteria for classifying such deaths -- meaning that Beijing's own statistics about the unprecedented wave are now widely seen as not reflecting reality.
- Shanghai overwhelmed -
As health workers nationwide battle a surge in cases, a senior doctor at one of Shanghai's top hospitals said 70 percent of the megacity's population may now have been infected with Covid-19, state media reported Tuesday.
Chen Erzhen, vice president at Ruijin Hospital and a member of Shanghai's Covid expert advisory panel, estimated that the majority of the city's 25 million people may have been infected.
"Now the spread of the epidemic in Shanghai is very wide, and it may have reached 70 percent of the population, which is 20 to 30 times more than (in April and May)," he told Dajiangdong Studio, owned by the Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily.
Shanghai suffered a grueling two-month lockdown from April, during which more than 600,000 residents were infected and many were hauled to mass quarantine centres.
But now the Omicron variant is spreading rapidly across the city.
In other major cities, including Beijing, Tianjin, Chongqing and Guangzhou, Chinese health officials have suggested that the wave has already peaked.
In neighbouring Zhejiang province, disease control authorities said Tuesday that there had been one million new Covid infections in recent days and that the province was entering a peak plateau.
Chen added that his Shanghai hospital was seeing 1,600 emergency admissions daily -- double the number prior to restrictions being lifted -- with 80 percent of them Covid patients.
"More than 100 ambulances arrive at the hospital every day," he was quoted as saying, adding that around half of emergency admissions were vulnerable people aged over 65.
At Tongren Hospital in downtown Shanghai, AFP reporters saw patients receiving emergency medical attention outside the entrance of the overcrowded emergency ward on Tuesday.
The corridors overflowed with dozens of elderly patients lying on beds crammed together, hooked up to IV drips.
At another hospital, AFP witnessed an exchange between a woman and an older man, both jostling for a drip.
"I was here first," she said. "I'm here to get a needle too."
- 'Enormous challenge' -
Chinese officials are now readying for a virus wave to hit the country's under-resourced rural interior, as millions of people prepare to travel to their hometowns for the weeklong Lunar New Year public holiday beginning January 21.
National Health Commission official Jiao Yahui admitted that dealing with the expected surge in rural areas would be an "enormous challenge".
"What we are most worried about is in the past three years nobody has returned home for Lunar New Year but they finally can this year," Jiao told state broadcaster CCTV on Monday.
"As a result, there may be a retaliatory surge of urban residents into the countryside to visit their relatives, so we are even more worried about the rural epidemic."
With inputs from AFP.