Naegleria claims another life in Karachi
By News Desk
November 11, 2023 04:57 PM
A 38-year-old resident of Scheme 33, Gulshan Mimar, Karachi tragically lost his life due to a Naegleria fowleri infection, reported 24NewsHd TV channel Saturday.
The deceased had been experiencing symptoms of fever, headache, and vomiting since November 7.
Health authorities are urging the public to exercise caution, especially when handling water. Naegleria, a rare but deadly amoeba, thrives in warm freshwater environments. Here are essential precautions to prevent its spread:
Avoid Nasal Water Exposure: Refrain from pouring water directly into your nose, especially when using neti pots or swimming in warm bodies of water.
Chlorinate Water: Follow the guidelines set by medical experts and the World Health Organization (WHO). Regularly chlorinate water sources to reduce the risk of Naegleria contamination.
The victim’s tragic demise serves as a stark reminder of the importance of vigilance and preventive measures. Let us all take heed and protect ourselves and our loved ones from this silent menace.
Naegleria fowleri is a rare but fatal amoeba that enters the body through the nasal passages, causing a severe brain infection. Immediate medical attention is crucial if symptoms arise.