Woman dies from smelling pickled pepper
By News Desk
September 2, 2023 07:12 PM
A 25-year-old woman in Brazil died after battling the devastating consequences for six months of a simple act - sniffing a super spicy chilli pepper, the 24NewsHD TV channel reported on Saturday.
What began as an innocent gesture while helping her boyfriend prepare dinner has turned into a harrowing ordeal for Thais Medeiros, leaving her unable to speak or walk.
Her mother, Adriana Medeiros, longed for her daughter's return, but doctors were uncertain about when, or if, that day would come.
The alarming incident that claimed the life of Thais's life occurred on what should have been an ordinary February evening. She was assisting her boyfriend in the kitchen, preparing a meal for his parents.
Thais sniffed a pickled goat pepper, known for its fiery intensity, with a Scoville rating ranging from 15,000 to 30,000, and inadvertently rubbed it on her nose, setting off a chain of events that would leave her in a critical condition.