Balochistan back to normalcy
August 8, 2020 10:45 PM
The government notified lifting lockdown in Balochistan province on Saturday.
According to the notification, shops, malls and offices throughout the province can resume routine business.
The government made the decision after coronavirus cases were reported to have been reduced.
A top health official of told the media in June that from July to September the coronavirus cases were expected to peak and the situation could become dangerous.
Health Director General Dr Saleem Abro warned that cases could increase to more than 100,000 in a few months while 40 per cent of the population in the province had been infected.
People are also not informing the government about infected patients and deaths are occurring in various parts of Balochistan, he complained.
Reports said former Balochistan governor Syed Fazal Agha died from Covid-19 in May. The reports citing the deceased relatives and doctors as confirming the coronavirus affected ex-governor was shifted from Quetta to Karachi where he breathed his last.
At the onset of anti-corona combat in April, doctors took to the streets in provincial capital Quetta against, what they called, lack protective personal protective equipment (PPE) kits for health workers.
Police arrested dozens of members of Young Doctors Association (YDA) as high-ups claimed to have ensured supply of safety stuff to the medics.