News

EU warns of worst Palestinian displacement in decades

July 7, 2022 09:50 PM


An EU envoy warned Thursday over the possible mass displacement of Palestinians from a West Bank area at the centre of a protracted legal battle, after a controversial Israeli court ruling. 

The European Union's ambassador to the Palestinian territories, Sven Kuehn von Burgsdorff, issued the warning as he toured Masafer Yatta in the occupied West Bank, where evictions of Palestinians have increased after they lost a land rights case in Israel's top court on May 4. 

"If mass evictions and forcible transfer were to be the case, that would be the biggest forcible transfer for decades -– that's our concern here," he told AFP.  

Israel's supreme court ruled that the more than 1,000 residents of the villages of Masafer Yatta had "failed to prove" their claim of permanent residence in the area, before the army declared it a restricted military site known as "Firing Zone 918".

The judgement ended a two-decade legal struggle, paving the way for the Palestinians to be evicted from their homes.

Von Burgsdorff told AFP that there has been a dramatic rise in demolitions since the ruling.

Twenty-seven buildings have been knocked down since the judgement, and at least 30 more demolition orders have been issued -– more than double the rate in recent years, an EU source said. 

In the early 1980s the army declared the 3,000-hectare (30 square kilometre) territory a restricted military area and claimed it was uninhabited. 

The Palestinians living there said it was their people's home long before Israeli soldiers set foot in the West Bank, which the Jewish state has occupied since 1967.

Von Burgsdorff accused Israel's top judges of disregarding international law in a ruling that, he said, "seems to ignore" Israel's responsibilities to the Palestinian residents as "an occupying power."

"Families have lost their homes, but this decision is a political one, not a legal one at all," he told AFP.

"International pressure is the only way to stop this," he added.

The diplomatic visit had been delayed by two days after the army decided to hold a live-fire exercise in the area. 

 

 



Most Read

  1. Stormy rain warning: Holiday in Sindh schools tomorrow Stormy rain warning: Holiday in Sindh schools tomorrow
  2. Bilal Abbas and Sarah Khan's 'Abdullahpur Ka Devdas' on YouTube from March 1 Bilal Abbas and Sarah Khan's 'Abdullahpur Ka Devdas' on YouTube from March 1
  3. Fire breaks out in PACE shopping mall in Lahore Fire breaks out in PACE shopping mall in Lahore
  4. COAS Gen Asim lauds ASP Shehrbano’s selfless devotion to duty COAS Gen Asim lauds ASP Shehrbano’s selfless devotion to duty
  5. CM Maryam slaps total ban on postings and transfers CM Maryam slaps total ban on postings and transfers
  6. Dananeer Mobeen's heartbreak video faces criticism Dananeer Mobeen's heartbreak video faces criticism

Opinion

  1. Literate the Religious Illiterate
    Literate the Religious Illiterate

    By Dr Asif Channer

  2. THE SECRET WAR: Public Interest Vs Official Secrets Act 1923
    THE SECRET WAR: Public Interest Vs Official Secrets Act 1923

    By Syed Aun Mohammed Bokhari

  3. Political Opportunism and the 18th Constitutional Amendment
    Political Opportunism and the 18th Constitutional Amendment

    By Muhammad Asad Ayaz

  4. To Know and Not to Know
    To Know and Not to Know

    By Abdullah Bin Tahir

  5. Gender equality: A pre-requisite for a balanced society
    Gender equality: A pre-requisite for a balanced society

    By Mehak Sabir