Ex-judge Arshad Malik couldn’t prove he was coerced or harassed: Report
Says meetings with Nawaz, others were not accidental
July 11, 2020 04:25 PM
The report compiled after an inquiry against disgraced accountability court judge Arshad Malik, a copy of which available with 24NewsHD TV channel, says he did not present any evidence to substantiate his claim that his meetings were a result of pressure.
The 13-page report prepared by Lahore High Court’s Justice Sardar Ahmed Naeem states that the meetings with Nawaz Sharif, Hussain Nawaz and Nasir Butt could not be categorised as accidental. In fact, these gatherings were a clear violation of sections 7, 30 and 31 of the code of conduct.
According to the report, the evidence shows that Arshad Malik joined the criminal gang voluntarily and he did not submit any proof to prove that he was threatened or harassed.
The latest report surfaced after a seven-member LHC committee comprising senior judges terminated the services of Malik on the charges of misconduct.
This saga had started last year when Maryam Nawaz had shared a video at a press conference in Lahore, in which Malik admitted that he had sentenced Nawaz because of pressure.
Justice Naeem in his report said that the accused also failed in proving that his controversial acts were against his own wish. The continuous meetings with Nasir Butt, Nasir Janjua and Mehr Nasir showed that Malik always had unhindered access to them, it added.
The report also says that the accused met Nawaz at his Jati Umra residence after announcing verdicts on the NAB references. He also held a meeting with Hussain in Saudi Arabia while he was there for performing Umrah.
Malik left for Umrah along with his family where Nasir Butt contacted him again after which the meeting with Hussain was held in Medina, says the report.
It wasn’t accidental as it was a planned meeting as the document also notes that Malik reviewed the appeal filed against his verdict.
Moreover, Malik admitted that he developed acquaintance with Mian Muhammad Tariq – who filmed the controversial video – during his tenure in Multan from 2000 to 2003.
Also, he never informed his seniors about the threats received from or blackmailing by Nasir Butt and others.
The report says that the last para of the judgment against Nawaz negates the claim that he as blackmailed. All the documents provided in his defence were unverified copies which couldn’t be accepted.
Malik faced the allegation of misconduct which he didn’t deny and said that the meetings were a result of pressure. He admitted his crime but requested for pardon, says the inquiry report.
Justice Naeem wrote that the press release issued by Malik in his defence was a violation of the code of conduct’s section 7.
Malik in his affidavit mentioned that Nasir Janjua and Mehr Nasir played a role in his appointment as accountability court judge while the two asked him to issued biased judgments in the references filed against Nawaz.
The record shows, says the report, that Malik was offered an amount of Rs500 million to resign and state that the references were filed on the behest of military and judiciary.
After writing down all these findings, Justice Naeem recommended that Malik should be terminated from service.